Brand Talk: Molo
In this Brand Talk we met up with Mogens Jepsen, the founder of Danish brand MOLO, a much loved kids' brand with the philosophy of being the kids' own favourite item in their wardrobe.
HELLO MOGENS, SO NICE TO CHAT WITH YOU, HOW ARE YOU?
– Thank you, we are so happy to be included in the Babyshop Magazine. I am very well, thank you. Summer is upon us here in Denmark and we are looking forward to a new, better than ever, season at Molo.
HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOUR BRAND?
– Molo is a high quality kidswear brand, with a Scandinavian aesthetic, a humorous and colourful design, and a dedication to sustainable solutions.
WHAT IS THE “MOLO PHILOSOPHY”?
– The Molo philosophy is to be the kids’ own favourite item in their wardrobe. We are creating clothes for children to explore and to enjoy wearing. The name Molo is a combination of the two founders’ names put together. I’ve always thought it has a nice ring to it, it is easy to spell, easy to remember and I believe it fits perfectly with our brand DNA.
WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
– What is so great about kidswear is the spontaneous enjoyment it creates for the children that wears it. How a fun print or a great silhouette can make a difference. Making kidswear is also constantly challenging us with the need for functionality and durability in combination with the aesthetics. It is never dull. Kidswear needs to work for all kinds of weather, year around, and for an often-high level of activity. Our team of designer are inspired by all kinds of things. It can be old or new from around the world. We also look at what children are captivated by and enjoy. Especially when it comes to developing prints.
WHO DO YOU DESIGN FOR?
– Molo is for children around the world that enjoys innovative, fun, and personal clothing. I believe it is more a state of mind than a specific geographic of age demographic.
DEFINE THE SPIRIT OF THE NEW COLLECTION.
– The AW21 collection is filled with optimism and hopefulness, which is needed after this challenging time in the world. The collection is called ‘The connectedness of everything’ and explores the intricate relationship between humankind and nature and how we are all connected in this world.
WHAT STEPS TOWARDS BEING MORE SUSTAINABLE ARE YOU TAKING?
– For the new AW21 collection, we have expanded our use of sustainable materials such as GOTS certified organic cotton and recycled polyester from post-consumer waste. We have also challenged ourselves in the way we do sustainable business and our everyday sustainable choices at the office and in production.
IS IT POSSIBLE TO INFLUENCE THE COSTUMER TO BE MORE SUSTAINABLE?
– We always try to encourage customers to ‘buy less - buy better’ and this is a continuous part of our communication. We love seeing styles from older collections being passed down to friends and family and it is thrilling to spot a ten-year-old Molo snowsuit still being used by kids today.
WHAT IS YOUR VISION?
– We are on a sustainable journey and are continuously working on improvements, knowing that we are not perfect. In the future we will continue to challenge ourselves to find the best sustainable solutions and become the most responsible version of ourselves.
DO YOU HAVE A “HERO” PIECE IN THE COLLECTIONS?
– It is difficult for me to pick one favorite among my ’children’. But Molo’s use of the star and the rainbow have become iconic, I believe. It can be used for all ages, is unisex and can be used on styles to create both minimal and very detailed clothing.
THANK YOU, ONE LAST QUESTION WE ALWAYS LIKE TO ASK, IS THERE SOMETHING YOU WOULD LIKE TO RECOMMEND?
– We always encourage and recommend that our consumers care for their clothing. Wash it properly, fix holes and wear it repeatedly. Pass the clothing down to siblings or friends or sell it second-hand to make each items lifespan as long as possible.